What is Weather wallpaper?
Weather wallpaper is a program which connects to NOAA each hour to get the current weather at the specified location and creates and sets a wallpaper with the data retrieved.
If you use Debian, Ubuntu, or another distro which uses deb packages, you can download the deb (weather-wallpaper-0.2.0.deb) and simply double-click on it to launch the installer, or you can add my repository to your sources.list file, so that your distro can inform you of new releases.
If you choose for the second method, open the file /etc/apt/sources.list with your favorite editor as root and add this line:
Update the list of packages writing
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/zootropo/ubuntu hardy main
sudo aptitude updateon the terminal, and install the application by writing
sudo aptitude install weather-wallpaper.
If you use Archlinux, you can find the PKGBUILD at the ArchLinux User-community Repository.
If you use Gentoo, you can find the ebuild at Gentoo's Bugzilla.
If you use other distribution, download the tar.gz: weather-wallpaper-0.2.0.tar.gz, uncompress it, and execute the command
make install with root privileges.
You can help us by clicking on the donate button. Donations will be made through PayPal, guaranteeing a secure transaction.Thank you! We really appreciate your support.
To start the program run Application->Accessories -> Weather wallpaper.
The program will retrieve the weather report from NOAA and create a wallpaper with the information for the default location: Getafe, Madrid, Spain. To change it to your current location, right click on the status icon and select preferences, where you can specify the ICAO Location Indicator for your city and select the unit system you want to use.
Changelogv0.2.0 - September 3, 2007
- Added imperial units (Thanks to Og B. Maciel)
- Works on KDE
- Added a GUI to change preferences
- Can set a proxy (Thanks to Nijskens Raf and Frederic Descamps)
- Can move the info on the screen to the position wanted by the user
- Added option to update whenever the user wants
- Get the size of the screen using gtk (Thanks to Gergely Nagy)
- Changed fog icons
- Connects to NOAA to get the current weather at the specified location
- The color of the sky changes according to the hour of the day
- Creates and sets a wallpaper with the data retreived from NOAA
- Shows an icon in the status bar with the image of the current conditions
- The application updates the weather data automatically every hour
If you ever need to uninstall the application just run the command
sudo aptitude purge weather-wallpaper as root if you installed it using the deb package or the repository, or execute the command
make uninstall from the tar.gz file if you installed it using this method.
The configuration file, which is located at the hidden folder ~/.weather-wallpaper, will not get deleted; you will have to delete this file by yourself if you are sure that you won't need it again.
Have a question? a bug to report? a feature to propose?
You can report bugs, propose new features, and ask related questions at the project page at Launchpad.
I want to translate Weather wallpaper to my language
You can help translating the application on the translations section at the project page in Launchpad.